Thursday, September 23, 2010

Oh man

I think blogging our meals every night in October is going to be a challenge. But. I really want to do it, to show what regular (hahahahaha) people who eat a veg diet have for dinner. It's also fun to show off my funky thrift store dishes.

So here we have Tuesday night's dinner: Snobby Joes from Veganomicon, pita bread, baked kale, and apple slices. It was a pretty good dinner. I didn't care much for sloppy joes growing up, but now I like them. The pitas were made by me, and these had some awesome pockets.



Baked Kale (In case you want to try the deliciousness yourself)

You need: some kale (usually sold in bunches), olive oil, garlic salt, a greased cookie sheet, and an oven

Preheat oven to about 400 degrees. Wash and dry your kale. A salad spinner would work awesomely, but since I can't have nice things, I just shake it really good. Rip pieces of kale off the stem and spread out on the cookie sheet. Dab the pieces of kale with olive oil using some sort of pastry brush. Sprinkle with garlic salt (regular salt will work, but I think the world needs more garlic, don't you?). Bake for a time, like ten minutes or so, peeking in to check for browning edges. When the edges start browning, that's when I take the pan out.

Baked kale is crunchy and delicious. You might find it hard to share, I know I do.

Okay, last night's dinner was noodles and sauce because I was busy doing a colon prep for a colonoscopy. Lame.

Tonight I had the "I have no idea what to make" blues. So I turned to a handy vegetable loaf generator that I stumbled across called The Magical Loaf Studio

Basically you check off ingredients you have and the generator spits out a recipe. Careful, there are no promises that your creation will taste good. I've been lucky, and these loaf recipes usually go over pretty well. If you want the recipe for tonight's loaf, I can post it, but I think it's fun to make up your own. That's BBQ sauce on top. I'm sure you want to know if the kids liked this. They both said they did. Reese ate almost a whole piece, and Eli ate about three bites (pretty good for Eli, haha). We also had broccoli and apple slices. Apples are in season around here right now, and for some reason broccoli was reasonably priced too. I'll talk more about how our family eats with the seasons in October.


So there ya go! I'm really going to try to stay on top of this, I promise. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment