Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Get Socialized!

I almost got into an Argument on the Internets the other day. Don't worry, I restrained myself. For one thing, the argument was on facebook and I get annoyed when people type a frickin' novel in a comment space (yeah, I do it too sometimes, and I annoy myself when I do it). Secondly, it was pretty obvious that I wasn't going to change the aggressive person's mind about anything. I have enough of my own stuff going on that I don't need to argue with strangers on facebook.

Anyway, the argument was about homeschooling. I know not everyone we come across or know supports our family's choice to homeschool. And you know what? That's okay. Everyone has a duty to do what is best for THEIR CHILD(REN). And how lucky are we that we can choose? I think I've said this before: I'm not against public school. I'm not against preschool. I just don't think that those options are right for every family. Am I glad options exist? Of course!

One argument that almost always comes up in favor of public school though really really bugs me. Socialization. If you keep your kids at home, HOW will they get socialized?? How will they learn to function in society??

Insert giant EYEROLL here.

We don't hide ourselves in a closet, people. In fact, none of the homeschooling families we know do that. We're out and about just about every day during the week, hanging out with friends, attending art classes, going on field trips, visiting the grocery store, the library, the post office. My children watch and participate in interactions with people of a variety of ages and backgrounds regularly. If they were in school? They would interact with a small number of adults, and a huge number of same age peers. Is that really real world socialization? What's more real world? A group of children from ages 3 to 12 negotiating a game on a playground or a group of 5 year olds sitting in desks?

I just see more value in the former group for our family at this time.

Yeah, I get a little touchy about the whole socialization thing. I should probably just worry about my own self and my own family instead of getting stressed out about what other people say. Especially strangers on the internet.

So with that, we'll go about our day. Today is Art Studio Day, which is always a good time. Before we head out the door, we're going to bust our butts and get our other work out of the way. Because we can. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read this. I have some former co-workers who think I'm insane and my mom was telling me how some were asking yesterday with looks of horror about what the heck I was thinking deciding to homeschool.

    ReplyDelete