Monday, August 23, 2010

Callaway Gardens

On Sunday Eric and I took the kids to Callaway Gardens, which is about a 25 minute drive away from Columbus. It's a pretty awesome place, lots to do.

Guess which kid had to be coerced to get this picture taken? Sigh.



This is one of my favorite places at Callaway, the boardwalk bridge. You can see ducks and fish and turtles.


The trees are so tall. It's fun to look way up. We didn't end up walking too far because Eli just really did not want to be hiking in the woods. Poor Eli. It turns out he was developing a blister on his heel from wearing his tennis shoes with no socks. I suppose it's a lesson for us all, that Eli needs to wear socks with his shoes.


Another cool part of Callaway Gardens is called Mr. Cason's Vegetable Garden. It's a working veggie garden. The produce is used in the Callaway restaurants and sold at the general store. It's so weird to see dry corn stalks in August, but corn season here is already over. As we walked past the corn stalks, Reese goes, "My honey wants to know what these are." She was talking about her doll. Hahahahahaha.


This is the view from the entrance of the vegetable garden.




And this is the view from the back, while we were standing in that little red roofed house thing. Pagoda? It's not really a pagoda. Anyway...it's pretty.




By the time we got done hiking and exploring the garden, we were freaking hungry. We found a super nice picnic spot and Eric got to grillin'. Guess which grilled items belong to me?


The Grillmasters, and they're even wearing matching shirts!



After lunch, we headed to the beach on Robin Lake. I think I've posted pics of the beach before, so I just grabbed a swimming shot. It was a good time, swimming, snorkling, and building a sand castle.


Do these kids look tired and cranky? They WERE.



We stopped at Sonic on the way home and had slushies and onion rings. The onion rings at Sonic are not very good, but the slushies, as always, were very tasty.
All in all, it was a great way to spend a Sunday, being out in nature, getting a chance to walk in the woods and learn about plants and animals. I like the calm before the storm that is our busy week ahead, a week I should be getting ready for right now.

1 comment:

  1. and Julie said... We also like the calm on the weekend before we have to deal with the next busy week. Nature is always calming to me. I find that Nature, trees and flowers, and all the animals that go with it make me think about God! He has given us soooo much to enjoy in this world. It is good to take the time to enjoy our surroundings. Nothing better than a hike and a picnic!!! I am anxious to visit Callaway Gardens myself, some day soon. It looks like a great place to visit! Carry on with your busy week. We are busy working on the landscaping of the hill. It is really coming along. I love spending time with your Dad doing projects together. It's all about Lovin', Livin' and Learnin'!!! Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete