Friday, October 1, 2010

Happy World Vegetarian Day!!!!

Yay for being vegetarian!!!!

I was undecided about this picture...it's the risotto in progress from last night's dinner. It was an artichoke and spinich risotto, recipe from a Moosewood cookbook called Simple Suppers. I'm not sure if I would make this one again or not. It needed something.

And tonight for World Vegetarian Day, I made pizza. I wish I could say that this was a well planned meal, but it wasn't. I found the pizza dough in the freezer last night and decided that was dinner. My vegan pizza was tomato spaghetti sauce, onions. red peppers, green olives, mushrooms, and some seitan-based pepperoni. I'm not going to talk about the omni pizza on World Vegetarian Day (but that is the nice thing about pizza, people can use the ingredients they want).


One of the things I wanted to discuss with you during Vegetarian Awareness Month is convenience cooking. Convenience foods don't have to be unhealthy (or unvegan...is that a word?? it is now!). My idea of convenience food is having pizza dough in the freezer. Or having a batch of seitan in the freezer. Or having fast, easy, go-to meals at your fingertips for those nights when you don't feel like cooking. Oh! You know what's convenient? Canned beans. Well, canned beans are convenient if you usually cook your own dried beans.

So if a meal I make is considered a convenience food meal in our house, I'll let you know. Maybe I'll even spill some super secret recipes, because wouldn't that be fun?

I won't be at home tomorrow, so no pics or blog. I kind of think I might not blog at all on the weekends. Maybe I'll do a weekend round up and tell you what we ate. Would that work out for y'all? I hope so, because that's the way it's going to be.

Have a great veggie filled weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment