Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I created chore charts for the kids using this nifty website: http://www.dltk-cards.com/chart/

It's pretty cool, you can pick out a graphic and then fill in some chores in a chart. I set mine up as a morning routine. Lately I've been feeling like we needed something to get us off on the right foot each day. We have a successful bedtime routine and overall bedtimes are peaceful and predictable. Perhaps the same thing would work in the morning? We'll give it a whirl.

Many of the sites I perused suggested monetary rewards for chores, and I don't know how I feel about that. I didn't get an allowance or money for chores growing up. One of the things I want to instill in the kids is good money management skills, and giving an allowance seems to be a way to do that. I want to teach them about saving and giving and spending wisely, skills that I'm not very good at. Plus, it would be nice when I hear, "I want buy that!!!" to be able to say, "Save your money!"

On the other hand, I don't get paid for doing chores now. My reward is a clean house, good meals on the table, clean clothes, you know. We all have to pitch in so we have a liveable house. It's helpful to the family. I'll have to think more about the whole allowance thing.

Anyway, the morning routine includes self care (eating breakfast, brushing teeth, brushing hair, getting dressed) and a couple simple chores (picking up clothes, tidying room, helping empty the dishwasher). I think I could add some things as the kids get older, give them some chores I'm not jazzed about doing. That's my right as a mom, you know. Reese and Eli have such a desire to help and be responsible, I'd like to encourage that.

How do you handle chores and allowance at your house?

1 comment:

  1. Sheri, with our teenager, we have seperated chores from the allowance. The chores are considered his duty as a member of this family. If he does not do them, or does them poorly, he is unable to hang out with friends, go places, etc... He almost always gets his allowance, though, unless there were serious attitude issues as well. No matter what, he does get a certain amount put into savings (half allowance) that he can take out for approved large purchases and activities. However, we do sometimes let him earn extra money by doing more (which almost never happens), so it is still somewhat connected to the money.

    ReplyDelete