Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Healthy Eating

I fed my kids ice cream for breakfast. Wellllll...that's what I called it anyway. In reality it was:

1 1/2 frozen bananas
about 3/4 cup frozen watermelon
about 1/2 - 3/4 cup soy milk
a couple tablespoons ground flax
a squirt of agave necter

Mix that up in your blender (I rock a vitamix), marvel at the pinkish "ice cream," dish up and serve. I'm sure you could add some other odds and ends, or completely change the fruits to your tastes. I've found that if the color is appealing, the kids will eat.

So, healthy eating. I'm probably going to post about this subject a LOT. I love food. I love eating. I'm not always in love with the healthy part, but as long as it tastes good, you'll suck me in. Our family does the best we can to eat healthfully, and we are on a budget. Most of meal we eat are cooked from scratch. I enjoy cooking and let's face it, prepackaged meals/foods can be costly. I share what I like in my facebook notes, and I'll probably post recipes here as well.

Part of healthy eating is taking some food risks. I do this all the time. You never know what a kid will love or hate, so I experiment. For example, this morning I'm working on a carrot coconut rice pudding. If they like it, it's a great way to get some carrots and healthy whole grains into them (I'm using red rice today, but I'd use brown too). If they don't like it, then I'll have ready made breakfast for a week. It's a win-win! The recipe is from The Vegan Lunchbox. I'll get back to you whether or not it passes the kid taste test.

I'm also going to make a double batch of seitan today, one for dinner tonight and one for the freezer. Seitan, admittedly, is time consuming, although most of the time is passive (ie it has to simmer for an hour or so...no need to hover around the pan). As long as we're going to be home anyway, things like seitan or bread aren't a big deal. Anyhoo, seitan is a great source of protein and very inexpensive to make at home. I'll probably saute it with some mushrooms and squash tonight and serve it with a grain, quinoa maybe? Maybe noodles.

It's been like the Food Network in my kitchen lately, probably because I was out of commission for so long. There's just something relaxing about turning up the crap music (Ke$ha, I'm talkin' about you) and cooking some good food for my family.

What are your thoughts about healthy eating?

6 comments:

  1. I was googling seitan yesterday after reading about hoersatile it is in veganomicon. I thought about trying a recipe last night until I saw that it took a while. :) meat is expensive and james is really watching cholesterol, so we've cut back on our consumption a lot in the last few months. I know I'got to replace it with something. Is there a seiatn recipe you could recommend for a novice like me?? Some recipes look harder than others.

    I was so proud. :) I made sloppy joes with tempeh last night and served it over whole what pasta (forgot to buy rolls, but no worries. They weren't missed!) It was a big hit. Less cholesterol than ground beef, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Meant versatile! That's what happens when toddlers help you type. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ideas here! Girl, you need to do more food bloggin. I love you guys! I wish we could be eating together and playing with Nibble everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sherri, its me, Trish, again! You know, the one who recommended colloidal silver to you! I know, I know...not another infomercial. But I have to tell you about Dr. Fuhrman! His book "Eat to Live" was recommended to me by a friend and I've been closely following his plant based "nutritarian" diet for six weeks now and man oh man have I noticed the changes! Anyway, he has another great book "Eat for Health" which is actually a 2 book set (check out Amazon)...that I'm dying to get my hands on (loaded with recipes, I'm told). Anyway, I agree with the other posters...You really NEED to do more food blogging! I'm intrigued by your vegan (vegetarian) lifestyle and would also love help with some simple recipes. I also have to say I'm really glad that you are adjusting well to your new surroundings in GA! The weather here in WI has been atrocious, but I'm sure you've seen the news! Take Care! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Thanks for sharing your "ice cream" recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah, the seitan recipe in Veganomicon is about as easy as they get. You might like chickpea cutlets...it's a much faster wheat meat like meat, and delicious. My kids (well, Reese...Eli doesn't eat anything) gobble them up.

    Jehan, we miss Nibble (and you too)!!!! Reese has become a duck lady now because there are ducks everywhere.

    Trish, thanks for the info, I've heard of Eat to Live, I'l have to check out Eat for Health.

    ReplyDelete